Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Last Week

Last week was a bummer. I was called upon for Jury Duty. I, along with 49 others, sat throught the process for several days until they finally decided that I was not the one they wanted on the Jury. I was rather shocked at how personal they got with each potential Juror. Questions about your job, where you live, your personal experiences with he law, your immediate family (children, husband) their jobs and what they do, if anyone has ever been arrested that you know, family, friends, etc, if they got a fair trial, if you were ever a victim of a crime and if you were, did the local law enforcement handle it to a satisfactory degree, etc. It was a long process. All twelve people on the initial panel were asked these questions by the DA first. After everyone answered if he was unsatisfied he would dismiss whom ever he did not agree with then for the people he dismissed. Then more people would be called from the panel. After the DA was satisfied then it was the Defense Attorney's turn and of course they come up with several different questions as well. It took quite a long time to figure out who would be on the Jury. I was finally cut loose but I had to call in to make sure that they did not change their minds. It was tedious but it gave me insight on how the legal system works. I did miss almost an entire week of work and of course I was rushed with the chores and such around the house. I am thankful that it is all over and that they cannot call me again for at least 2 years!

No comments: